When Death Occurs

Making decisions for the funeral of a loved one easier

What to do when somebody dies.

If death occurs at home inform the doctor as soon possible that death has occurred. He/she may write out the Medical Certificate of Death when he/she visits the house or may request you attend the surgery for this purpose.

You need to have informed the doctor of the death before we can take your loved one into our care. You need not rush to have your relative removed if you want to spend a few hours or more with them that is fine. Call us when you feel ready and will we act swiftly to carry out your wishes.

When death occurs in the hospital the procedure is very similar. Apply to the hospital for the Medical Certificate of Death and not your family doctor.

The coroner. In cases where the death has been reported to the Coroner, the procedure is somewhat different. The Coroner and his officers are working in your interest. No doctor will issue a Medical Certificate of Death. This will be sent by the Coroner to the Registrar’s Office in the district where the death occurred after contact has been made with the Coroner’s office.

For more information please visit www.gov.uk/after-a-death/overview